NOTICE: is no longer in use from 1st March 2024. Please use the OpenStreetMap Community Forum

Potlach2 advice on tagging Access Land (In England its the right to roam land usually commons) and can it be shown on the map and map key

asked 12 Feb '11, 13:35

andy%20mackey's gravatar image

andy mackey
accept rate: 4%

retagged 19 Feb '11, 22:39

SomeoneElse's gravatar image

SomeoneElse ♦

This is a special circumstance for England and Wales and is therefore never likely to appear in the generic Potlatch 2 pre-sets. Of course it is possible to create a set designed to support mapping of public rights of way and access land, but no-one has done this yet. Therefore you will have to use the advanced tagging panel of Potlatch2.

Personally I would tag access land with "foot=yes" and "designation=access_land". Note that it is often difficult to ascertain the full extent of access land from open sources: basically a ground survey noting the official signs. All official information on access land is based on copyright Ordnance Survey data and surveys. It is therefore also sensible to add a tag of the form "fixme=boundaries approximate". It may also be advisable to tag the entrance points displaying access land signs as assistance for other mappers who may approach the site from a different direction.

permanent link

answered 13 Feb '11, 14:27

SK53's gravatar image

SK53 ♦
accept rate: 22%

edited 13 Feb '11, 16:10


Tagging as access=yes would be incorrect, as you do not have any right to drive, cycle, or ride a horse there. Something like foot=yes or foot=designated would be more accurate.

I do think some sort of designation tag or similar makes sense. Or maybe a boundary tag?

(13 Feb '11, 14:34) Vclaw

Point taken, changed access=yes to foot=yes as this is better, answer already included a designation tag (imo, more important than access tag).

(13 Feb '11, 16:12) SK53 ♦

Thanks,It will be good when logical source of info,the council definative map is cleared for use, otherwise the def map is pointless isn't it

(14 Feb '11, 10:50) andy mackey

if one is in a field that that we know is a common and access land we can just trace the natural boundary river,hedge or road from bing.commons are usually open grazing ground so the edges are the edges if you see what I mean. so we don't need to look at OS stuff

permanent link

answered 19 Feb '11, 14:50

andy%20mackey's gravatar image

andy mackey
accept rate: 4%

edited 19 Feb '11, 14:55

I now realise that this won't work for a national parks which are also access land

(20 Feb '11, 10:42) andy mackey

I don't think the OS stuff needs to be used. The dataset is held by Natural England and availble from here (about 80% down the page):

There may be some licensing issues, but if someone was to contact NE directly, it may be able to be used - the main restriction seems to be commercial.

Note, I'm very new to this so this may be a non-starter from the off if OSM counts as commercial?

permanent link

answered 26 Jun '15, 11:48

skanky's gravatar image

accept rate: 0%


OSM is unable to accept any data with a "non-commercial use only" restriction, because OSM data is used in turn by commercial companies.

(26 Jun '15, 12:06) Richard ♦

Ah, okay that scuppers that. Thanks.

(26 Jun '15, 12:42) skanky

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 12 Feb '11, 13:35

question was seen: 6,478 times

last updated: 26 Jun '15, 12:42

NOTICE: is no longer in use from 1st March 2024. Please use the OpenStreetMap Community Forum