NOTICE: is no longer in use from 1st March 2024. Please use the OpenStreetMap Community Forum


What's the best way to tag a canteen or a refectory at a university?

I think amenity=restaurant doesn't really fit. Restaurants mostly offer waiter/waitress service, while canteens are always based on self-service. Also the facilties in general differ pretty much. Is there a good tag for canteens? I found room=canteen on the wiki, but that wouldn't be practicable for buildings.

Thanks in advance! Greets

asked 17 Aug '11, 13:04

kerosin's gravatar image

accept rate: 0%

edited 28 May '14, 19:50

aseerel4c26's gravatar image

aseerel4c26 ♦

I see your problem - none of the tags seems to be sufficient. And it is not only problem of university canteents. There are self-service restaurants in many office buildings as well.
If the place in question serves regular solid meals (not only snacks or fast-food) I would tag it as restaurant (even if it is self-service). The level of restaurants ranges from simple rural restaurants to Michelin star awarded fine dining places anyway - why not self service school canteen. If the place serves coffee and snacks, tag it cafe.
And if it is fast food tag it as such. In my university there were all three types...

permanent link

answered 17 Aug '11, 19:35

LM_1's gravatar image

accept rate: 10%


Perhaps it would be good to revive the amenity-features proposal: The original author seems to left the discussion.

(18 Aug '11, 08:23) SveLil

how about a cafe? It serves not only coffee, but also some snacks, like sandwiches and cakes. Fast Food could also be an option... you get your food over the counter and usually a canteen in a university is designed to serve people in short times. They might only have 30 min between lectures. As I understand, fast food on OSM is not limited to Chains like McD & co.

Try looking at these:

permanent link

answered 17 Aug '11, 14:06

moszkva%20ter's gravatar image

moszkva ter
accept rate: 17%

Although, may I add another question: Is the uni canteen open for public? I.e., if I go there as a tourist, can I eat there? Even if I am not a member of this university?

If no, then maybe also tag it as access=private

Different countries, different approaches. In Austria, for example, everyone can enter the university and use the facilities like Café, Mensa, library, yes, even listen to lectures. When I was in Paris, the guards didn't even let me enter the university building without a student's or staff ID.

permanent link

answered 18 Aug '11, 07:25

moszkva%20ter's gravatar image

moszkva ter
accept rate: 17%

There was a discussion relating to this in the Tagging group. Take a look at

(28 May '14, 17:17) AlaskaDave

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 17 Aug '11, 13:04

question was seen: 17,614 times

last updated: 28 May '14, 19:50

NOTICE: is no longer in use from 1st March 2024. Please use the OpenStreetMap Community Forum