Why not ask your question on the new OpenStreetMap Community Forum?

During a trip, I came across this track which is used to slide small fishing boats up and down a canal, around a more common lock, when it is not manned.


The construction is made of wood, with two parallel tracks on which to slide the boats. The closest I can find is leisure=slipway but it doesn't seem appropriate. Any help is welcome!

asked 22 May '19, 10:57

LaurentS's gravatar image

accept rate: 0%

The term for that is a "portage". While only used a few times, the tag waterway=portage has been documented in the OSM wiki and would be the most appropriate.

permanent link

answered 22 May '19, 17:02

alester's gravatar image

accept rate: 28%

Laurents, what you described looks like an Overtoom (Dutch) or overhaul (not the same) to manage a ship over a dike if there is no lock. Without unloading the cargo, but pull the complete transport over the dike or dry ground, into the neighboring water. And yes Ive read the Wiki too.

permanent link

answered 24 May '19, 21:46

Hendrikklaas's gravatar image

accept rate: 5%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 22 May '19, 10:57

question was seen: 1,231 times

last updated: 24 May '19, 21:46

powered by OSQA