Why not ask your question on the new OpenStreetMap Community Forum?

How do I tag a ford (road crossing a river) that is usually impassable to motor vehicles, in Potlatch ?

asked 11 Jul '11, 08:32

Chris%20Boone's gravatar image

Chris Boone
accept rate: 0%

If "usually" depends on the amount of water and therefor on the season, you could try access:date_on=YYYYMMDD and access:date_off=YYYYMMDD. If it is only impsssable by cars (for example, walkers-only steping stones), maybe access:vehicle=no ? In any case it sounds like you should consider some extended usage of the access tag.

permanent link

answered 11 Jul '11, 13:08

Vincent%20de%20Phily's gravatar image

Vincent de P... ♦
accept rate: 19%


First of all you should of course use the tag highway=ford.

In addition to this I would use tags like



Although smoothness does not apply to water, it could be used in analogous way I suppose.

permanent link

answered 11 Jul '11, 09:49

ALE's gravatar image

accept rate: 14%


ford=yes is prefered to highway=ford, since being a ford is orthogonal to being a path/tertiary/track/etc. Same thing as bridges.

(11 Jul '11, 13:02) Vincent de P... ♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 11 Jul '11, 08:32

question was seen: 2,886 times

last updated: 11 Jul '11, 13:10

powered by OSQA