Why not ask your question on the new OpenStreetMap Community Forum?

Sometimes between valleys there is a flat highland called a mesa / table / plateau / whatever, depending on details. For example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa

I couldn't find a tag on the wiki for that - does anyone know an appropriate one? Thanks!

asked 07 Jun '16, 03:54

Federico%20Mena%20Quintero's gravatar image

Federico Men...
accept rate: 0%

Plateau seems to be the term used more widely around the world (mesa is mainly in the Americas), and there is at least some usage of natural=plateau in OSM, so that would be my recommendation. Some caveats: it probably won't be rendered by any normal rendering, and if you create it as a large area way, it may be challenging for you or others to edit (you could always just do a node in the center instead).

permanent link

answered 07 Jun '16, 15:10

neuhausr's gravatar image

accept rate: 21%


Thanks! I had not checked the taginfo to see what was in use. I'll just use points; this is just to have names on a topographic map. The contour lines make the extents of the plateaus pretty easy to distinguish.

(07 Jun '16, 16:39) Federico Men...

Hmm... we'll definitely need an openlabelmap db somewhere one day.

permanent link

answered 08 Jun '16, 05:05

yvecai's gravatar image

accept rate: 9%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 07 Jun '16, 03:54

question was seen: 2,673 times

last updated: 08 Jun '16, 05:05

powered by OSQA