Why not ask your question on the new OpenStreetMap Community Forum?

I want to tag an area of land which is used for growing various types of vegetables: tomatoes, lettuce, onions, potatoes, etc. I don't see it as landuse=allotments or landuse=orchard or landuse=farm, so what is it?


asked 10 Feb '11, 14:25

tongro's gravatar image

accept rate: 0%

edited 10 Feb '11, 15:47

GrahamS's gravatar image


Are they being grown commercially or for private use?
If it was commercial I would say farm, otherwise it sounds like allotments to me.

What are your misgivings with using these tags?

permanent link

answered 10 Feb '11, 15:47

GrahamS's gravatar image

accept rate: 28%

It's a plot of private rural land which is not a full-scale farm, so it's not allotments, but landuse=farm seems too general. Landuse=horticulture would seem to be right, but I don't want to use non-standard tags.

(10 Feb '11, 15:56) tongro

I'd just go with farm then. A farm doesn't have to imply 200 acres of fields. There are plenty of small farms in cities for example.

(10 Feb '11, 16:01) GrahamS
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 10 Feb '11, 14:25

question was seen: 3,555 times

last updated: 10 Feb '11, 16:01

powered by OSQA